New Patient Guides and Forms
Download Our New Patient Forms
After you have called our office and scheduled your appointment, please download the appropriate forms for the physician you will be seeing. Right click and ‘Save File As’ to save the forms to your computer and use the password you have been given to open them.
Please fill out the forms completely before you come in for your first appointment. If you have any questions regarding the forms, please call the office. Our staff is happy to help you.
New Patient Guide
The first step in getting a consultation is to complete the Contact Us form. You will receive an email response back with instructions on how to speak directly with Dr. Hedaya.
Not ready to become a patient? Simply want to learn more for yourself or a loved one? Get to know more about your health and Whole Psychiatry by:
- Joining our free workshops by phone.
- Reading our case studies
- Reading our comprehensive patient resources
- Listening to the Whole Psychiatry Radio Hour Show
- Reading Dr. Hedaya’s Books
- Reading Dr. Hedaya’s Health Matters blog
- Subscribing to the Whole Psychiatry newsletter (found at the bottom of the page)
- Following Whole Psychiatry on Twitter
Dr. Hedaya speaks to each person before they can come in for a consultation to insure that he is the right doctor for them.
To get the most for this initial brief call with Dr. Hedaya, please be prepared to summarize your #1 and #2 symptoms in one or two words (e.g. depression, low energy).
Dr. Hedaya will then review the process of becoming a patient.
If after talking with Dr Hedaya you both decide to proceed, his staff will schedule your initial appointment. Your consultation will either be a full Whole Psychiatry evaluation, or a limited Functional Medicine Consultation.
Whole Psychiatry Evaluation Process
Initial Consultation with Dr. Hedaya
Your initial in-office consultation is a very comprehensive medical visit. You will spend 3.5 hours with Dr. Hedaya. He will do a partial physical exam, take a full verbal history from you, review your existing lab test results and medical reports, and review your medication history.
We provide you and your companion, if you have someone with you, with a complementary lunch in our office. You will be offered a menu of items before coming in.
Computerized Neuro-Cognitive Testing
A 40-minute computerized test to assess baseline aspects of verbal and visual memory, processing speed, executive function, complex attention, reasoning, and psycho-motor function.
Preparation for Your Initial Whole Psychiatry Evaluation Appointment
- Come in to the Chevy Chase, Maryland office fasting (10-12 hours, but drinking lots of water for the 3 days before the visit and the morning of the visit). Also bring a list of supplements in addition to a list of medications.
- Whenever possible it is advantageous to you to bring along someone who has known you for a long time, someone whom you trust. This will give you support (being in a doctor’s office is stressful), and offer Dr. Hedaya collateral information that could be very helpful. This person will usually be in on the initial evaluation to the degree you choose, although Dr. Hedaya will generally be sure to spend time alone for confidential discussion and history taking, to the degree that is needed.
- Bring in a 1 to 2-page summary of the history of the problem.
- Bring in a print out from your pharmacy of all the medications you have been prescribed over the last 3 or more years.
- Bring in as many of your lab tests and reports as possible-no matter how old, or from whom. The more the better.
- Complete all the forms you were sent by Whole Psychiatry prior to your first visit.
- Bring in ALL of these completed forms including temperature chart (which must be done several days in advance of your visit).
Outcome of Your Initial Whole Psychiatry Evaluation Appointment
At the end of the initial Whole Psychiatry evaluation appointment, Dr. Hedaya will have an idea of what processes (hormonal, nutritional, detoxification, psychological, immune, methylation, etc.) are involved in creating your symptoms, and he will review this with you. Based on all the information Dr. Hedaya has collected and synthesized, he will give you a very personalized diagnostic work up to implement. He will outline the lab tests that need to be done to assess your systems. Sometimes these tests can be broken into stages, and sometimes it is best to do the entire work up at once. These options will be discussed with a view to achieving the best medical outcome. Some of the tests will be done in the office on the day of the evaluation, some will be done from home and mailed, some can be done at a laboratory, or at a local hospital.
Unless there is a need to meet before, your next visit will be 6 weeks after the initial evaluation appointment, and usually lasts 75-minutes. At that meeting, Dr. Hedaya will review all your recent test results, answer your questions, and prepare a written treatment plan for you. A follow-up appointment will be made 4-6 weeks later, although the timing of this depends on your specific health needs.
Going forward from this point, appointments are scheduled on as-needed basis, generally 3-6 weeks apart.
Want to find out more?
Achieving good health results from a partnership of a thoughtful skilled medical practitioner and a motivated patient with a vision of wellness. Contact us for information on how we can help you.